Areas of Expertise
- Interpretive and visitor experience planning in collaboration and partnership with staff
- Program development (outreach, traveling trunks, on-site experiences, hands-on activities, etc.) for a wide-range of audiences
- Development of engaging interpretive tools (exhibition-based curricula correlated to state and national standards, gallery guides)
- University-level teaching, professional development and training (for staff, docents, teachers, museum professionals)
- Program assessment and evaluation including recommendations for capacity building
- Content development for exhibitions in virtual and museum environments
- Effective teaching in museum and classroom settings
Guided by a comprehensive understanding of learning theory and years of experience teaching, I create innovative materials for classroom and museum settings. Educational materials are designed with users in mind – developmentally appropriate, engaging, grounded in disciplinary content and meeting educational standards.
“Beth is a joy to work with. I know I can count on her to deliver what we need on time and within budget. I can recommend her to anyone who needs effective and fun learning activities with serious student outcome potential.” Laurel Wyckoff, Education and Outreach Manager, KNME TV
Tapping national experience with museum education since 1996, I bring innovative approaches to the design and implementation of programs for the public, schools, families, docents and museum staff. Balancing mission, audience needs and organizational resources, well-designed programming moves an organization forward and helps to build meaningful relationships with its community.
“Beth’s knowledge of interpretive practices and curriculum standards coupled with creative thinking was invaluable in allowing us to broaden our thinking while maintaining a practical framework” Kim Popetz, former Director of Education, Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
Interpretation and visitor experience planning
Designing experiences in a museum or at a historic site requires careful research, thoughtful planning and engaging approaches to information and story. Starting with organizational and interpretive goals, I develop recommendations grounded in educational expertise and emergent practice in collaboration with stakeholders.
“Beth is one of the most creative and professional colleagues I have ever had the pleasure of working with. She is outgoing, an excellent communicator, and enthusiastic about collaboration and trying out new things.” Mimi Roberts, Director for Media Projects, Department of Cultural Affairs, State of New Mexico
Teaching and Training
As a consultant, it is my privilege to work with staff, volunteers and educators. Whether I am facilitating training for docents or an assessment of educational programming, my approach is collaborative in nature and based in a clear understanding of needs, goals, objectives and resources. Consider me a member of your team, an outside set of eyes, your museum education personal trainer, and your ringside coach.
“Beth’s report projected out what our program could look like in three to five years and inspired our community to see the Society as a potentially major provider of educational resources.” E. Michael DiPaolo, Executive Director, Lewes Historical Society